Contact Information
Address: 16 Court House Road
Phone: (506)488-2483
Fax: (506) 488-2483
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Website: www.queenscountyheritage.com

court_house_museum_01Of surviving early Court Houses in New Brunswick, the Queens County House is one of the oldest, dating from 1836. This “neat and well finished building” was designed by Saint John architect John Cunningham, and was first occupied in January 1838.

Records indicate a variety of court cases including the serious crimes of assault and murder, but also cases relating to horse and cow theft and using profanity in public places. In addition to legal cases, County Justice of the Peace and later County Councillors met in the building and supervised local administration.

court_house_museum_02The Court House closed in the mid 1960’s and stood vacant for twenty years until Queens County Heritage launched an extensive restoration program that was completed in 1994. Throughout the years, special cultural events are staged along with various permanent and temporary exhibitions. Featured are original décor, the Hetherington Research Center for those researching the Queens County history and genealogy and our museum shop. The Court House is one of four historic sites operated and managed by Queens County Heritage.