The Loomcrofters building is believed to be the oldest building still in use on the St. John River. The oldest date found in the building is 1761 when it is thought to have been built by the British as a “Truck House” for trade.
About 1945, M. Patricia Jenkins (1912-1985) moved the historic building to its current site and set it up as the primary weaving studio and retail shop for the Loomcrofters. After being used as such for almost seventy years and becoming a signature cultural tourism destination in the village of Gagetown, the Studio is on the move again in 2014! Learn more about the Loomcrofters Studio.
In August 2014 the Province of New Brunswick provided a sgnificant investment to assist with the physical move of the building to the grounds of the Tilley House, Front Street. In early December 2014, in a two and a half day process, the Studio was moved to the grounds of the Tilley House. Settled on its new site and foundation, the building was repaired and stabilized in 2015, and opened to the public in June 2016.